Who Should Play The Lone Ranger

This post was updated on .
Jerry Bruckheimer Wants YOU To Cast 'The Lone Ranger'

Jerry Bruckheimer spoke with MTV News at the junket for his new film, "Confessions of a Shopaholic". Talking about future projects, he let slip that, while the script is done and Johnny Depp has signed on as Tonto there's still a little matter of finding the lead.

That's where you come in! Jerry Bruckheimer wants input from the fans and we're ready to hear whatever opinion you've got. Watch the video below and then post your dream-casting. You could help decide who gets to wear the mask!

George Clooney As The Lone Ranger?

There is another rumor that George Clooney has landed the lead role as The Lone Ranger, Entertainment and Showbiz reported this saying Production Weekly announced this?

JDN JDN

Re: George Clooney As The Lone Ranger?

I just posted a message about this on IMDB and as i said there I would love this to be true but I read that BBC news report on the 1st of May and BBC News says George Clooney was rumored to play The Lone Ranger. They did not mention anything about it being in Production Weekly. See link below.

Lala61 wrote
There is another rumor that George Clooney has landed the lead role as The Lone Ranger, Entertainment and Showbiz reported this saying Production Weekly announced this?
Owner/Administrator
www.JohnnyDeppNews.Com "Only people who truly understand his art can see who he becomes through his roles".

If you have any questions or need to report abuse then please Post Your Message Here
 If you want to contact either of the administrators privately then email us at jdn@johnnydeppnewsforum.com. If you wish to contact me personally then use the contact link on JohnnyDeppNews.com

Re: George Clooney As The Lone Ranger?

Typical, the media always posting articles on what they want the story to be instead of printing what was said.

JDN wrote
I just posted a message about this on IMDB and as i said there I would love this to be true but I read that BBC news report on the 1st of May and BBC News says George Clooney was rumored to play The Lone Ranger. They did not mention anything about it being in Production Weekly. See link below.

Lala61 wrote
There is another rumor that George Clooney has landed the lead role as The Lone Ranger, Entertainment and Showbiz reported this saying Production Weekly announced this?

T-Bag T-Bag

Re: George Clooney As The Lone Ranger?

are we back on this George Clooney rumor again.
 why so many

Re: George Clooney As The Lone Ranger?

I am so so sorry to say... George is tooooo old now.... Great respect and love for my kinsman as it were but no... no clooney in the place of the Ranger... only one man for that job now and he has earned it.... and dont give me any Leonardo DiCaprio whitewash either... let me have the full on complexity of this Lone Ranger and his sickness of disguise and torment of aloneness... give us his broken greatness & the revelation of character through the devotion and closeness of friends and none from the man himself.... oh please!!!

Re: George Clooney As The Lone Ranger?

Here is a Hint... I have a huge idea that makes complete sense of the less than understood Ranger and why he can be of 'neither tribe nor societal brand'.... His secret is mine and the mystery of Silver as a Lipazaner too.... ah haaaa.....

Re: George Clooney As The Lone Ranger?

Johnny Depp should play both  Here is a fan made video asking the same question and I personally think Javier Bardem would be a good choice.

George Clooney As The Lone Ranger? No.... Keanu Reeves!!!

actually... i think keanu reeves should play the Lone Ranger who is a half Breed and belongs to neither society and lives with a bottomless thirst for justice due to some love lost which caused his isolation... Johnny should be his older brother Tonto who cannot join him but rather assists him in his torment and struggle... its the best plot with a twist since Ichabod's reversal of fate

Here is the man for the job who can pull an audience...

Re: George Clooney As The Lone Ranger?

Although i love most of these actors I think it would need to be Viggo Mortensen and even then just a maybe. Sorry need to think about this one

What about including Custer in the Lone Ranger Storyline?

I was just mulling over who would really be the best headliner as the lead for the Lone Ranger when it hit me that I didnt know the actual terms of setting and era that this movie would choose to portray the Ranger.  The authenticity of costuming and backdrop of social parameters would make all the difference in the world.  I also think the sort of story that folks might take to would be a post Civil War feature where Americans were trying to knit their lives together as Carpetbaggers, Town Tribunals, Deserter Squads and such were rampant in defining the Wild West as we know it was.... Then it came to me...

What About including General Custer closely in the plotline and making him the 'Other White Meat'?
Oh no... I am serious... sure... it sounds funny but if Custer were the pompus antagonist to the Ranger then maybe we could see how race and cultural choices were not a walk in the park back then in such an unsettled nation during such a painfully remorseful time of mending fences and polarized native american tribes.  So much could be brought in under this time and array of complicated settings that its all bonus.

Civil war years seem like a great time to ditch the grey stretch pants for the Ranger too.  Introducing General George Custer as an example of how not to work with our indigenous loved ones in this land which we all share, would be something that folks in current times could also relate to.

You might drop your jaw when I say it but I can see Brad Pitt playing the assured and self absorbed Custer with a lot of accomplishments and social graces under his belt... I mean this in a nice way given that Custer was juggling a lot of irons in the fire due to the increased presence of media and the path of the cult of personality laid before him.  Custer was so popular that his endearing qualities could be found.

This movie needs a good antagonist so why not explain the faults of Custer in the process of allowing the Lone Ranger to save the few from the slaughter that Custer so foolheartedly walked right into??  Ultimately I still cant quite get a fix on this Ranger guy and if he should be a straight face or a satirist...

I need to find that poem I heard read so long ago that characterized Custer as the with a hundred arrows in him laying in the feild... it transformed him forever for me as a character in history
PirateAngeline PirateAngeline

Re: What about including Custer in the Lone Ranger Storyline?

I'm glad your not writing the script for this movie  as for Brad Pitt there is no way in hell they would cast him next to Johnny.

Re: What about including Custer in the Lone Ranger Storyline?

Well the honest truth is that the actual story of the Lone Ranger is in perfectly timed alignment in history with the fall of Custer according to the true tale of how the actual Texas Rangers had come to be recognized by Congress and commissioned to do their brand of Justice.  The actual idea that they might have gotten into trouble as a part of chasing outlaws into the Northern Territories and been ambushed to reduce their numbers to a single lone ranger would also make perfect sense.  I would honestly like to hear why you feel that my work is in some way less than viable...

Do you know something about the Lone Ranger and his legacy as a part of our national history?  I like hearing stories as much as I like to tell them and welcome you to share what you think should really be the tale of the Lone Ranger.

Re: WHO SHOULD PLAY THE LONE RANGER?

I think George Clooney would be perfect to play The Lone Ranger and they are friends so that would be even better.

Re: WHO SHOULD PLAY THE LONE RANGER?

Well ... i know that this would kill all those texas diehard Ranger fans but ...... if Disney goes with the tragicomedy as they sometimes are inclined to do and as John has indicated that he was hoping for...

What about Woody Harrellson.... the guy is a barrel of laughs and would likely take a big ticket item

not that anyone would find a sequel anywhere in this suggestion but hey... if its comedy then all is game

Yeah.. i know ... its a terrible idea but i like the Ranger as the younger half brother of Tonto as a great way to talk about what happens when people are considered outsiders and are trying to demand justice be done

trishadepp trishadepp

Re: George Clooney As The Lone Ranger?

Good choice lala I also like George Clooney and Edward Norton.

Re: WHO SHOULD PLAY THE LONE RANGER?

I was just thinking about this what about Aaron Eckhart or Viggo Mortenson?

Re: WHO SHOULD PLAY THE LONE RANGER?

So I am still not quite sure if they want a comedy or serious drama... this would make a big difference in who I would recommend for Casting really...

Re: WHO SHOULD PLAY THE LONE RANGER?

Yes for Viggo but I also do like George Clooney & Eric Bana.   I am sure there are more but Just can't think off the top of my head.

Ghostwriter wrote
I was just thinking about this what about Aaron Eckhart or Viggo Mortenson?