"Johnny Depp took the stage to read a page from Damien Echols' journal. For a moment, it appeared that organizers' early fears that Depp's celebrity might overshadow the event had some merit. Depp, trying to read through a passage from Echols' journal about being shackled and not able to walk freely, was interrupted by shouts of "We love you, Johnny!" Depp, to his credit, stopped for a moment and asked the crowd, "We all know why we're here, right?"

12 Comments

FamilyMatters FamilyMatters

Re: Voice For Justice Rally

Here are more pictures of Johnny talking to the crowd

“There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love."

Re: Voice For Justice Rally

This post was updated on .
These really are great pics of Johnny, thanks

Oops I found a picture on JDn's flicker page.

Re: Voice For Justice Rally

These are great pic, still in shock that he went.

Re: Johnny Depp "Voice For Justice" Echols Journal

"Depp came back out on stage to join Vedder on another of his solo tunes, "Society," and played an impressive lead solo. Depp swaggered around the stage like an experienced rock star but almost appeared to be a caricature of himself, rocking back and forth with his guitar strapped low and taking cigarette breaks during performances."  Link

He may not be a famous rockstar but pretty damn close in my book.

Re: Johnny Depp

It seemed to me that he was really ready to be a musician and rock out with his upstrokes and backbeat frails..... I think Vedder was playing it safe musically which was totally cool but John was just ready to rock for the cause... I wont say that the others were rusty but I do think John was stoked for some prime performance...

I loved seeing Patti and John interact on the videos... she is truly the rage that she has always been but likely its been tough to deal with being genuine in this overly commercial market...

just thinkin out loud here really...  you gotta understand that I have been following these peoples careers since we were all young pups ....
Beatnik Beatnik

Re: Johnny Depp

Great to see Pattie Smith on stage especially with Depp both great Icons in my book and Eddie is not so bad either. They all need to applaud themselves for the time and effort they put in including Dixie Chick's Natalie Maines.

Moderator/Member - Contact Beatnik

"Got up and dressed up and went out & got laid. Then died and got buried in a coffin in the grave, Man" -- Johnny Depp

Johnny Depp Project News Forum is your one stop resource on Johnny Depp. Checkout our Project News section for the latest news on new projects and upcoming movies. If you are looking to get more In Depth about Johnny Depp and his work then you may like to join in the discussions on our In Depth with Depp Section.  If you are just looking to chill out with other fans then visit our Fan News Network  Want to buy some Johnny Depp Products then checkout our Amazon Store

Re: Johnny Depp "Voice For Justice" Echols Journal

I am still a little confused by the evidence side of things and Jury Misconduct could anyone here enlighten me. .

If they guys get a new trial or better still exonerated this picture will become timeless.

Re: Johnny Depp "Voice For Justice" Echols Journal

Damien Echols and Jason Baldwin were deprived of a fair trial because jurors were well aware from news accounts that  Jessie Misskelley gave a confession attributing the slayings to their joint participation in a satanic cult.

Based on interviews with jurors about their two days of closed-door deliberations and their own notes, the foreman of the 12-member jury drew up large charts for both defendants to consider all factors weighing toward guilt or innocence. Misskelley's statement appeared on the lists as a major factor. So the Jury basically convicted the three young men based on misskelley's confession even although they were told not to.

Re: Johnny Depp

If you want to see a brief but comprehensive video that provides facts on all the key players/suspects/victims and issues of injustice then you can stop into this thread and check out what I consider to be the best videos on this subject as well as hear the Johns reading of Damien's Journal on August 28th 2010.

http://johnny-depp-news-forum.5273284.n2.nabble.com/Voices-of-Justice-and-the-Journal-of-Damien-Echols-td5479713.html#a5479713

Its not a long thread but the video at the end is one of the best and most concise accounts that will bring you up to date.  The jury was provided with not a single piece of evidence which 'proof positive' placed these young men anywhere near or around the crime scene.  Guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt?  No evidence left by 3 teenagers performing a Satanic Ritual???... Ha... I bet their rooms werent even that clean.

No effort was made on the part of the police to investigate a man who came into a restaurant covered in blood that same night. The neighbors were never interviewed by the police nor the abusive stepfather whose DNA was found at the crime scene was not interrogated nor their property searched which would have revealed quite a bit.

Re: Johnny Depp "Voice For Justice" Echols Journal

Here is the video of Johnny Depp reading the journal. It just shows how much he believes in this cause. People are saying that hollywood get involved in everything without any knowledge but I know that he would not go into something that he had not looked into.

I may not like him being involved but admire him all the same.

Re: Johnny Depp

I couldnt like or admire him any more than I do for taking this issue personally given his power to educate and empower so many.... and um... not to mention the extreme hotness of his physique now that he has matured so well.... whew thats some wholesome goodness!
thee radical thee radical

Re: Johnny Depp "Voice For Justice" Echols Journal

Damien, Jason and Jesse have been freed and pardoned.... quite the accomplishment John... we appreciate your humanity today!