Johnny Depp & Patti Smith Attend WM3 Rally - Updated

Johnny Depp & Patti Smith Attend WM3 Rally - Updated

This post was updated on .
Johnny Depp and Patti Smith Attend WM3 Rally Along with Eddie Vedde, and Natalie Maines
Posted by Lindsey Millar  on Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Lorri Davis, wife of Damien Echols and co-founder of Arkansas Take Action, the nonprofit advocacy group that organized Saturday night's "Voices for Justice" rally at Robinson, was tight-lipped when I interviewed her yesterday about the identity of "special guests" slated to join Eddie Vedder and Natalie Maines. But promised they were well known and confirmed.

Now I'm hearing from another source close to the event that the rumors are true: Johnny Depp and punk icon Patti Smith will definitely be in attendance.

Better hop on those tickets. Via Ticketmaster or the Celebrity Attractions box office (300 S. Spring, Suite 100)). They're $25.

UPDATE: I remain confident in my source, but an official spokesman from Arkansas Take Action says that the group is not yet confirming Depp or Smith.

Here is a video about the West Memphis 3 for those who do not know the story:

Re: Johnny Depp and Patti Smith may attend WM3 rally

Thanks for posting this JJ.... Once the facebook event is up then I will post the link here...
candycane candycane

Re: Johnny Depp and Patti Smith may attend WM3 rally

Don't think Johnny should be getting involved in this.

Re: Johnny Depp and Patti Smith may attend WM3 rally

I know everytime he gets involved in something he believes in there are people that don't like him waiting  in the wings ready to go on the attack. Don't fear though he know how to take care of himself.

depplover depplover

Re: Johnny Depp and Patti Smith may attend WM3 rally

I think this is a ploy to get people to sign up. If people think depp is going to be there then they will get more people involved.

Re: Johnny Depp and Patti Smith may attend WM3 rally

I think he really understands the nature of this situation and is likely to be involved if Patti Smith chooses to be involved.  I would think he might even look into the details as a set of liabilities which would be published and brought to the big screen to get the attention of those who might really need to hear about this issue.

Thats just me thinkin though... I think the precedence of accepting the responsibility for a work like Blow! is pretty much an indicator that he would be willing to take a long hard look at getting involved to make it a bigger social issue than it currently is.  The question really begs to be answered whether or not he wants to see how ugly these legal battles are when the 'authorities' want such things covered up.

I live this life personally and can tell you that some of these state level legislators are willing to do anything to cover their backsides where the facts can be seen.  If you visit the WM3 website you will see the ongoing battle there as dialogue and also as a lack of photos which indicate that the site has been wiped at least once.    Here is the page on Facebook where you can see the conflict occurring on line as some sort of ongoing legal debate between community and the rest of the world.

This is another site which appears to be a bit more stable and reliable though...
PirateAngeline PirateAngeline

Re: Johnny Depp and Patti Smith may attend WM3 rally

It must be a big event if Johnny is rumored to be there  but hows is he going to have the time is my question.

Re: Johnny Depp and Patti Smith may attend WM3 rally

Rally! what rally? i thought he was filming in the UK.
candycane candycane

Re: Johnny Depp and Patti Smith may attend WM3 rally

It's a rally in support of the West Memphis 3 but I think he needs to stay away from it myself.

Re: Johnny Depp and Patti Smith may attend WM3 rally

Oh no..here we go again with WM3 , Johnny Depp haters will be on the trail for this one.  Just watch the IMDB board they will start popping up if they find out about it.

Re: Johnny Depp and Patti Smith may attend WM3 rally

I really can't see him attending with his commitment to Pirates but I could be wrong. I agree with candycane I really hope he does not show.
DeppandDance DeppandDance

Re: Johnny Depp and Patti Smith may attend WM3 rally

I think it is good that he has his own opinions and says what he thinks but I think making public appearances at rally's is going a little too far, just my opinion

candycane wrote
It's a rally in support of the West Memphis 3 but I think he needs to stay away from it myself.
"Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid".
FamilyMatters FamilyMatters

Re: Johnny Depp and Patti Smith may attend WM3 rally

This really surprises me I know he did the WM3 documentary but attending a rally is quite a different story. Will he even have the time?
“There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love."

The Special Guests in Arkansas tomorrow...

I am willing to bet that John will be the source of Patti Smith's transportation via jet to Little Rock and also that they are the 'special guests' which are not confirmed but still being promoted as a part of moving the event to a larger and more secure venue.

You can almost guarantee the fact that the entire venue was moved and  security has been beefed up as a part of the discussion to ensure that complete coverage and liability be provided for a star who is in the midst of making a movie for Disney at present.  Disney's insurance companies are not playing around and neither are any of these state legislators who have already received threats and promises regarding the release of these men from prison.

As great news for folks who have been following this case for 10 years or more, Its likely that the entire case will be overturned and that a huge settlement will be in order given the reality of the evidence which they will be rehearing at the Arkansas Supreme Court.  Very possible that Former President Clinton himself will make a presence at this event to make a public statement.  Thats how these people work once its clear that huge injustice could lead to some civil unrest.  He will likely explain how full pardon and exoneration works for the average local folk already at their limit on this case.

If I am not mistaken Natalie Maines already won a lawsuit which the stepfather of the killed boy brought against her for something like liable or defamation relative to his DNA being found at the crime scene.

Here are the details:

“We are incredibly honored to have Eddie and Natalie lend their voices to this important evening,” said ATA co-founder Capi Peck. “Their willingness to join us for Voices for Justice will help raise even more awareness about the profound injustice that continues to occur. We will not rest until our political and judicial leaders hear our voices and do the right thing.”

On September 30th, the Arkansas Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in Damien Echols’s appeal for a new trial. New DNA testing and other powerful forensic evidence —combined with a sworn affidavit that the original jury foreman engaged in blatant misconduct that contributed to the jury's decision — prove that Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley were wrongfully convicted.

“Voices for Justice will not only bring awareness to the case, but it will also be a chance for supporters to reflect and collectively send love and support to Damien, Jason and Jessie,” stated Echols’s wife Lorri Davis. “This type of support is what has helped sustain them throughout the last 17 years. "

TICKET INFORMATION

Tickets for the Voices for Justice rally go on sale Wednesday, August 18th at 9:00 AM CDT at www.ticketmaster.com (search for event Voices for Justice), all Ticketmaster outlets and in person at the Celebrity Attractions Ticket office (300 S. Spring, Suite 100, Little Rock, AR 72201). Office hours are Monday-Thursday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM CDT and Friday 9:00 AM to noon CDT. Visa, MasterCard and Discover are accepted. There are no Ticketmaster service fees for tickets purchased at the Celebrity Attractions ticket office.

Tickets are $25.00 plus applicable service fees. There is a four ticket per person limit. Tickets are not tax-deductible.

VOICES FOR JUSTICE EVENT DETAILS

WHO: Rev. Thompson Murray, Arkansas Take Action representatives, Eddie Vedder, Natalie Maines and special guests

WHAT: A rally to increase awareness of the continued injustice visited upon Jason Baldwin, Damien Echols, and Jessie Misskelley, collectively known as the West Memphis 3

WHERE: Robinson Center Music Hall (Markham & Broadway streets)

Little Rock, Arkansas 72201

WHEN: Saturday, August 28, 2010

Doors open at 6:30 PM CDT

Event begins at 7:30 PM CDT
FamilyMatters FamilyMatters

Benefit concert set for West Memphis Three

By Rob Moritz
Arkansas News Bureau

LITTLE ROCK — Pearl Jam lead singer Eddie Vedder and Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks will headline a benefit concert here Saturday in support of three men convicted in the 1993 deaths of three West Memphis boys.

The event in support of Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. at Robinson Auditorium with proceeds from the show to benefit the legal defense fund of the men known as the West Memphis Three.

Tickets are $25 each.

Echols, Baldwin and Misskelley were convicted in the 1993 murders of 8-year-olds Christopher Byers, Michael Moore and Stevie Branch. Baldwin and Misskelley each received life sentences. Echols was sentenced to death.

The three and their supporters claim police and prosecutors used the defendants’ fondness for heavy metal music to label them as Satanists and obtain a conviction with no physical evidence.

“We hope this event will help us send the message to our political and judicial leaders that it is time to bring an end to this grave injustice,” said Echols’ wife, Lori Davis.

The case has gained international attention over the years — there have been two HBO documentaries — and renewed interest has been generated by attorneys for the convicted who have offered what they say is new DNA and forensic evidence in the case.

Oral arguments are scheduled Sept. 30 before the state Supreme Court in Echols’ petition for a new trial based on the new evidence.

Earlier this year, a circuit judge in Craighead County denied requests by Baldwin and Misskelley for retrials. They had argued that their trial attorneys failed to do an adequate job in their defense because they were hindered by a lack of money, experience and expert witnesses.

Brent Peterson, co-founder of Arkansas Take Action, formed to generate support for Echols, Baldwin and Misskelley, said all but about 500 of the tickets for the “Voices of Justice” event in the 2,600 seat auditorium had been sold by Thursday.

“We want to raise awareness about the West Memphis Three, and the timing of it is geared to coincide with Damien Echols’ hearing before the Arkansas Supreme Court,” Peterson said.

During the event, video messages from Echols, Baldwin and Misskelley will be shown, the organization said in a news release.

Along with Vedder and Maines, others expected to attend the event include actor Johnny Depp, punk rock icon Patty Smith, Arkansas-born actress and filmmaker Lisa Blount and singer-song writer Bill Carter.

Link
“There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love."

WM3 rally Updates....

BUZZ GROWS LOUDER: As of Thursday, the 2,500 or so seats in Robinson Center Music Hall for Saturday’s “Voices of Justice: A Rally in Support of the West Memphis 3” benefit were nearly sold out — with just a few left in the back half of the auditorium’s upper balcony.

Arkansas ONLINE, Pages 9 on 08/27/2010

Apparently it was previously booked for a United Methodist Church and then the Robinson Center stepped in and made sure that the event could host the 2500 projected audience....

Vedder and Pearl Jam are likely to go into the red for the event.  In addition to the musicians, who will play acoustically and almost certainly sing some songs together, Quapaw Quarter United Methodist preacher Rev. Thompson Murray, Davis and other members of Arkansas Take Action will speak. Local actress Lisa Blount will sing, and new video messages from the WM3 and from long-time supporter Henry Rollins will screen.

The event bills Vedder and Maines along with "special guests." Davis was tight-lipped about who those special guests are, but promised that they were well known and had been confirmed. I've heard from other sources close to the event that the rumors are true: Johnny Depp, Patti Smith and Fistful of Mercy (Joseph Arthur, Ben Harper, Dhani Harrison) are the special guests.

Posted by Lindsey Millar  on Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:36 AM at the Rock Candy Entertainment Blog

Re: Johnny Depp and Patti Smith may attend WM3 rally

I'm actually willing to wager that Depp goes to the prison and meets these guys today or met some yesterday and is meeting the rest today.  I do believe he is that kind of person really.
Beatnik Beatnik

Voice For Justice Rally

Johnny Showed up at The Rally in Little Rock. Here is something about it from The Pearl Jam website:

Ed appeared in Little Rock Arkansas on Saturday August 28th, 2010 – here is Two Feet Thick’s  coverage of the Voices For Justice event of which he was a huge part.

Here’s the full moment- by- moment list of what went on:

Opening speeches from Rev. Thompson Murray, Capi Peck from Arkansas Take Action

Video from Damien Echols

Eddie Vedder: Rise, It Rains On Me (Tom Waits)

Lisa Blount: Mercedes Benz

Greeting from Lorri Davis

Bill Carter and Will Sexton: Something Made Of Paper

Video from Henry Rollins

Johnny Depp reading from Damien Echols' journal

Eddie Vedder: The Times They Are A Changin’ (Bob Dylan), Open All Night (Bruce Springsteen)

Fistful of Mercy: Fistful Of Mercy, Restore Me, My Father’s Son

Natalie Maines: Death’s Got A Warrant, If I Had My Way, Free Life (Dan Wilson), I Smell A Rat

Eddie Vedder and Natalie Maines: Golden State (John Doe, You Can Close Your Eyes (James Taylor)

Eddie Vedder with Johnny Depp on guitar: Society

Patti Smith: My Blakean Year, Wings, Dancing Barefoot

Finale (all): People Have The Power

Our band’s Ed Vedder is a longtime supporter of justice for the release of the West Memphis Three – Damien Echols, Jessie Miskelley Jr and Jason Baldwin. You likely already know that the three were tried and wrongfully convicted in the 1993 death of three children – Damien to death, the other two for life imprisonment.

Ed leant his voice and music in support of the Three at a “Voices For Justice” rally in Little Rock, Arkansas.  Also appearing was Natalie Maines of Dixie Chicks, Patti Smith, Johnny Depp supergroup Fistful of Mercy (featuring Ben Harper, Dhani Harrison (song of George) and Joseph Arthur) and Lorri Davis – wife of Damien Echols.

When the event was originally announced,  it was to be held at local Methodist church at a 700 capacity hall, with tickets $500 and up. Ed encouraged the organizers to change the event to a a more accessible-to-the-general-public priced ticket, to be held at the 2600-seat Robinson Hall. Here’s a snippet about that from the Arkansas Times:

    (Damien Echols’ wife Lorri Davis and) ATA organizers wanted to hold the event somewhere more quiet and respectful, like a church. As the Times reported, the rally was initially slated for the Quapaw Quarter United Methodist Church.

    “I don’t know anything about coordinating a big event like this, and it turned out that, logistically, the church didn’t make sense,” Davis said.

    But then Robinson Center stepped in and, with prodding from Vedder, ATA decided to steer the event away from a high-ticket-priced benefit and into a rally with an affordable $25 ticket. As a consequence, Davis said, Vedder and Pearl Jam are likely to go into the red for the event.

The event ran approximately 2 hours and 10 minutes; amongst the highlights (for which we gratefully thank our pal AKM) were:

-Ed,  threaded throughout the evening,  performing  Bob Dylan’s “Times The Are A Changin’ “, “Rise”,  John Doe cover “Golden State” with Natalie Maines

-Ed and Johnny Depp performing Jerry Hannan’s “Society” (from “Into The Wild”), with Johnny Depp accompanying him on guitar and playing the solo;

-Johnny accompanying Patti Smith, and Ed and Johnny backing Patti Smith on two songs, including “Dancing Barefoot” (she called them “the boys”), during which Ed sang along off mic, seeming enamored to be onstage with Patti.

-At different times during the event, Ed and Johnny did readings from Damien Echols journal.

-Ed introduced Fistful of Mercy by explaining that the three of them were just in his (West Seattle) backyard a couple of nights previous, sitting around a campfire and Ed was speaking of his involvement in the rally trying to encourage them to lend their support, and the four of them held hands around the campfire to pray for the cause. Ed said it was the first time he prayed in his life, and that his prayers were answered because after that, Ben said “we gotta come”!

-The rally closed everyone singing Patti’s “People Have The Power”,  a song VERY familiar to we PJ people.

Link
Moderator/Member - Contact Beatnik

"Got up and dressed up and went out & got laid. Then died and got buried in a coffin in the grave, Man" -- Johnny Depp

Johnny Depp Project News Forum is your one stop resource on Johnny Depp. Checkout our Project News section for the latest news on new projects and upcoming movies. If you are looking to get more In Depth about Johnny Depp and his work then you may like to join in the discussions on our In Depth with Depp Section.  If you are just looking to chill out with other fans then visit our Fan News Network  Want to buy some Johnny Depp Products then checkout our Amazon Store

Re: Voice For Justice Rally

Here is a picture of Johnny & Eddie Vedder at the concert.

Re: Johnny Depp and Patti Smith may attend WM3 rally

JDN posted some great pics on the site. Link