JOHNNY DEPP: LATEST CASTING RUMORS

FamilyMatters FamilyMatters

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

I don't think Johnny will ever win an Oscar, they Just don't like him.

rosadepp wrote
I think he should do it because he deserves to win an Oscar and this could be the one that does it. ^_^
“There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love."
deppaddicted deppaddicted

Johnny Depp Wants Rob Marshall to Direct Him in a Thin Man Remake

Vulture hears that Pirates of the Caribbean star Johnny Depp has been aggressively courting his Pirates 4 director Rob Marshall (Chicago, Memoirs of a Geisha) to direct him once again in a remake of The Thin Man at Warner Bros. It'd be a fitting follow-up to Depp's turn as the rum-soaked Captain Jack Sparrow: The famous detective novel by Dashiell Hammett centers on Nick Charles who — after marrying wealthy, young socialite Norah — gives up a career as a hard-boiled gumshoe to become a semi-professional alcoholic and full-time trophy husband.

The Thin Man certainly wasn't the Philip Marlowe of its day when it was first published in 1934 — Hammett never even wrote a sequel — but it did become a hit six-film franchise at MGM (with William Powell starring as Nick Charles and Myrna Loy playing Nora Charles) and an NBC series that ran from 1957 to 1959.

There's no script yet for the remake, but we're told that Depp is eager to play the role and has been looking to develop the property through his Warner Bros.–based Infinitum Nihil production outfit (run by his sister, Christi Dembrowski), with former WB executive turned producer Kevin McCormick also producing.

Meanwhile, we also hear that once Marshall wraps production on Pirates 4 later this year, he’ll be meeting with Universal execs and producer Marc Platt about the possibility of directing a motion picture based on Broadway's Wicked, which, unlike Thin Man, actually has a script as well as many other significant directors in contention for the gig. Link

Re: Johnny Depp Wants Rob Marshall to Direct Him in a Thin Man Remake

I havent seen this not even sure what it is about.
deppaddicted deppaddicted

Re: Johnny Depp Wants Rob Marshall to Direct Him in a Thin Man Remake

I adore Myrna Loy and I have seen this show.  The Thin Man was a comedy-mystery featuring Nick and Nora Charles: a former detective and his rich, playful wife. They solve a murder case mostly for the fun of it.  Synopsis from  IMDB

Ghostwriter wrote
I havent seen this not even sure what it is about.
DeppandDance DeppandDance

Re: Johnny Depp Wants Rob Marshall to Direct Him in a Thin Man Remake

According to JDN's page this is out to writers and they already have a short list:

New reports are that Johnny is couritng Rob Marshall to direct a remake of the Classic "The Thin Man" which starred William Powell & Myrna Loy. Nominated for 4 Oscars the 1934 film is a favorite of Johnny Depp's and rumor has it he is planning to produce it through Infinitum Nihil.

    "The Thin Man has long been a favorite of mine and with Rob at the helm, I know we're in great hands," Depp said. Added Warner Bros Pictures Group president Jeff Robinov: "There is no one more perfectly suited to portray Nick Charles than Johnny Depp."

The Studio has apparently already put together a short list of Terry Rossio, Jerry Stahl and Christopher McQuarrie, each of whom have worked previously with Johnny Depp.

"Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid".

Re: Johnny Depp Wants Rob Marshall to Direct Him in a Thin Man Remake

I have seen that show and others many times... here is a Trailer for The Thin Man..

Bandiecam Bandiecam

Re: Johnny Depp Wants Rob Marshall to Direct Him in a Thin Man Remake

Looks like they are looking for it to be like Sherlock Holmes. Hope the don't mean the new version hated the movie but I do like RDJ.

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Johnny Depp and director Rob Marshall, now in production on the fourth "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie, will reunite on a remake of the classic private eye movie "The Thin Man."

The Warner Bros. project is out to writers for a take that would give a Sherlock Holmes treatment (meaning to contemporize the attitude but retain the period setting) to the story.

The property is based on a 1934 Dashiell Hammett novel that centered on former private detective-turned-professional drunkard Nick Charles, his lovely socialite wife Nora and their schnauzer Asta. The couple investigates a murder involving an eccentric inventor and his bizarre family.

Hammett never wrote a sequel, but a 1934 movie, which starred William Powell and Myrna Loy, spawned five. A TV show followed in the 1950s. Link

Re: Johnny Depp Wants Rob Marshall to Direct Him in a Thin Man Remake

This might be a great fit for John and his expanding relationship with Rob Marshall as collaborator.  I do think this film and its series of films are certainly misunderstood given the fact that the "Thin Man" title was used for the series of movies when it actually refers to Clyde Wynant, the mysterious and eccentric father of the family in the first story.

I certainly like the idea that they can take on Prohibition Era New York City from the angle of a main stream sensibility but more to the point I think there is a wild mix of cultural impacts which can be explored more than it was back in the original production days given the fact that much could not be discussed or exposed then.  Apparently Nick Charles, and was the son of a Greek immigrant and might offer some interesting aspects of insight if they choose to use it.

Here is what fascinates me from Wikipedia given the fact that you know he will likely include a 'lady' in the script:

Charles is drawn, mostly against his will, into investigating a murder. The case brings them in contact with a rather grotesque family and also with an assortment of policemen and lowlifers. As they attempt to solve the case, Nick and Nora share a great deal of banter and witty dialogue, along with copious amounts of alcohol.

Re: Johnny Depp Wants Rob Marshall to Direct Him in a Thin Man Remake

I love these movies but to be honest I think Johnny is going too much off the beaten track with this one and needs to think carefully before taking it on. I would rather see him do Rex Mundi than this movie.

trishadepp trishadepp

Re: Johnny Depp Wants Rob Marshall to Direct Him in a Thin Man Remake

I have to disagree with you on that JJ I don't think he is going off the beaten track and think he would be perfect for this role. However if you are saying that he is becoming to much of a commercial liability then it's true that with fame comes money and with money comes choices you wouldn't normally make. and he is making far more commercial type movies than he would have done 20 years ago.

JJ287 wrote
I love these movies but to be honest I think Johnny is going too much off the beaten track with this one and needs to think carefully before taking it on. I would rather see him do Rex Mundi than this movie.

Re: Johnny Depp Wants Rob Marshall to Direct Him in a Thin Man Remake

I was reading up on this a little and didn't they make a bunch of these movis?  "The Thin Man" then "After The Thin Man" and so on.
lauradepp lauradepp

Re: Johnny Depp Wants Rob Marshall to Direct Him in a Thin Man Remake

Johnny would be good at anything cos he is talented. :)

Re: Johnny Depp Wants Rob Marshall to Direct Him in a Thin Man Remake

I think I would rather see him play the role in Triple Frontier than this one,  not that I think he can't do it but I want to see him spread his wings like he used to.

Johnny Depp and the Thin Man Remake as a tasteful counter to Bigelow's offer

Actually I have to commend Johnny for graciously playing his hand to openly receive talks of a sidelining Hank's bowl of stardom as an expendable drug dealer or a crooked cop with star power, all the while finding a way to line up a more dignified character option as due measure of tasteful and refined intrigue amongst the vintage years with The Thin Man project complemented by a respectful director and cast who appreciate him by affording a timely decline to Bigelow.

Kimmi wrote
I think I would rather see him play the role in Triple Frontier than this one,  not that I think he can't do it but I want to see him spread his wings like he used to.

Re: Johnny Depp Wants Rob Marshall to Direct Him in a Thin Man Remake

Shit I must be living under a rock seemed to have missed this one. Never seen any of these movies but then again I must be younger than you lot..lol

I am still a little conflicted about all these projects there is still DS to think about and I am not sure it's a good Idea for him to go on making remakes but  whatever he decides I am with him.

Re: Johnny Depp Wants Rob Marshall to Direct Him in a Thin Man Remake

''Younger than You Lot???''  and you call yourself Mrs. Sparrow....  you are such the wise acre...

Re: Johnny Depp Wants Rob Marshall to Direct Him in a Thin Man Remake

Damn how many movies is he going to make  he must be planning to live a very long life.