JOHNNY DEPP: LATEST CASTING RUMORS

This post was updated on .
Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

According to Deadline Johnny is in talks to star along side Tom Hanks in Sleeping Dogs, a drama to be directed by Oscar winner Kathryn Bigelow.

The movie is set in the organized crime haven known as the Triple Frontier that exists in the border zone between Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil. There is five main roles, but only two major leads in the drama scripted by Mark Boal, Bigelow’s accomplice on the The Hurt Locker. The movie is scheduled to start filming in February 2011 and director Kathryn Bigelow is courting Johnny Depp to play one of the lead roles with Tom Hanks.

It is rumored that Johnny Depp likes the role -- and the idea of teaming with Hanks -- but his participation is subject to working out scheduling issues.  Link

All the casting rumors have been merged into one post.

Johnny Depp With Paramount Pictures

I really think this is a fantastic break out role for him relative to his work in Platoon... I was very impressed that he took the role of translator in the film and do believe this is a door opening to another market similar to the likes of 'Traffic' for a handful of actors and actresses... Kathryn Bigelow definitely worth the nod

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

I know this would be a great role for Johnny and as much as I would like to see him do Dark Shadows, I really think he should try and work something out for this one.

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

I am thinking this would be perfect for Johnny but Dark Shadows is supposed to be a priority. I don't know what to think now because Dark Shadows is something i have been looking forward to but, If I was Johnny I would jump at the chance to be in this movie.

From ABC News

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Tom Hanks may be the first actor to board "Sleeping Dogs," Kathryn Bigelow's follow-up to "The Hurt Locker."

The Paramount Pictures project was previously known as "Triple Frontier" and reunites Bigelow with her "Hurt Locker" screenwriter, Mark Boal.

The story is set in the border zone between Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil, which is a haven for organized crime, and centers on five men of various ages working in the zone.

The project became a hot property in the wake of "Hurt Locker's" six Oscars, including the trophies for best picture and director.

Many actors' names have popped up in association with "Dogs," among them Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, Sean Penn and Jeremy Renner.

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

Johnny has so many choices and so little time poor guy. This could be thee role for Johnny and to work with Tom Hanks would be a dream come true for me. The hollywood reporter mentioned Hanks for this role yesterday but Johnny was not mentioned.

Tom Hanks circling 'Sleeping Dogs' (exclusive)

Tom Hanks may be the first actor to board Paramount’s “Sleeping Dogs,” Kathryn Bigelow’s follow-up to “The Hurt Locker.”

The project was previously known as “Triple Frontier” and reunites Bigelow with her “Hurt Locker” scribe Mark Boal.

The story is set in the border zone between Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil, which is a haven for organized crime, and centers on five men of various ages working in the zone.

The project became a hot property in the wake of “Hurt Locker’s” Oscar wins, and since the winter months of the awards season many names have popped up in association with “Dogs,” whose title may change yet again, including Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, Sean Penn and Jeremy Renner.

No attachments had been made as the script was being worked on and the project had no start date. But as it firms up, so does the acting component.

- By Borys Kit

Katlin Katlin

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

I am a woman of few words so I shall get to the point. JOHNNY YOU GOT TO DO THIS MOVIE!
rosadepp rosadepp

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

I think he should do it because he deserves to win an Oscar and this could be the one that does it. ^_^
sheila sheila

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

I think if like's the role and he can work it out go for it!!!!
PirateAngeline PirateAngeline

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

I don't think Johnny really cares about awards but I agree it would be nice to see him do this. It's all down to schedules and I am sure Tim Burton with his many projects could work around it.

Anyway here is an article about it from the moviehole........

Depp joining Hanks in Bigelow's next!?

Yesterday we reported that Tom Hanks was circling the new Kathryn Bigelow flick "Triple Frontier". In that article, it was suggested that Hanks would play one of the five main roles and that several other heavyweights were on Bigelow's sonar to fill the other slots. Looks like one of those slots may be about to be filled, by no less than Johnny Depp.

The "Pirates of the Caribbean" star, says Deadline, likes the script - it's set in the organized crime haven that exists in the border zone between Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil - and loves the idea of working with Hanks, but there's a chance it's shooting schedule may conflict with the new Depp/Tim Burton collaboration, "Dark Shadows". Both "Triple" and "Dark" plan to shoot in Feb.

Be good if either production could accommodate Depp so he's able to do both.
april april

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

Johnny was good in Donnie Brasco and Blow so this would be the perfect role for him and maybe even an Oscar nod. Please say yes Johnny!

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

Yikes... I know that I said this would be a great opportunity and I do believe that it would... I have thought a little longer on it and would like to share a few ideas to the contrary of encouraging John to take this part if it has been offered to him...

Consider this:  Will it harm his life long cooperation in some of his best work with Burton?  possibly

Consider this:  Does John really want to pursue roles and films which are crime-based and danger oriented in extremely volatile regions of South America when he can have his pick of roles and leads?

Consider this:  Even if John decides to break into the Latin A-List of films is it worth it to him?

I dont have any idea how such things would be perceived by John but as he gets closer to his silver year of life and such things are truly his to chose then how will he decide to turn the corner and define the personal relative to the professional... As I see it John is a highly creative and contemplative sort who might surprise us with the direction he chooses to take given all the options which are truly his to choose...

Whether or not he is given the part of the Riddler in Nolan's film the fact remains that he is the best man for the job and this is why we are his fans because he chooses to reinvent options which none of us really knew that he had.  I say Go on with your bad self John... dont feel obligated to take it if you are diggin the barnabus collins fiercely.... follow your heart and we will follow you

JohnnyDarko JohnnyDarko

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

Thanks for the update Ghost & JDN and I am psyched for this,  best news I have heard this week. It's about time depp showed the academy what he is really made of.
T-Bag T-Bag

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

This is all over facebook....lol  I would give my left arm to see Depp in this movie and what a great combo.
 why so many
Babs Babs

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

Johnny can do anything he puts his mind too and if he is in talks for it, then he must be really interested. I say go for it Johnny!
Janie Janie

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

Whatever Johnny does I will be sure to follow..go it Johnny!!

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

Feeling a little conflicted here. On one hand I would love to see him do this role to prove that he can be a series actor out of costume. Before you all start ranting on with pictures and but's, I know he has done straight roles before but I have a feeling about this one.

Conflicted because I would love to see him play the Riddler as I know he would be perfect, but on the other hand, this is a typical character role that Johnny usually play's, so maybe he shouldn't play this one.

Then there is Dark Shadows which I have been waiting a along time to see. I would hate to see it delayed again, but if there is a chance that there could be some rescheduling done that will allow him to play the other role, then I think he should go for it.

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

I felt a little of the same but it comes down to what he really wants, and if he wants to be in this movie then he will do everything in his power to make it happen.  I for one hope it does.

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

He has a lot of projects going on so how he is able work out scheduling issues is beyond me. I'm not really sure what the films about so it's hard to comment further but what ever he decides I will follow.

Re: Johnny Depp In 'Triple Frontier' Talks With Paramount Pictures

If he really want to do it I'm not going to argue.

'Triple Frontier' With Paramount Pictures is gonna be a Rough Rider

Watching Donnie Brasco broke my heart and then watching Blow broke it all over again and its pretty clear that he handled Dillenger entirely differently in such a way as there was a great sort of peace and calm about the outcome of the film.... this film is likely to stir that sense of 'ultimate sacrifice' up again....

The drug syndicates in South America and Central America are extremely brutal... I will spare you the stories but rest assured you can check out the film 'City of God' for a refresher.... its entirely true and shot in the very slums where the events took place showing the actual bullet damage to the concrete surfaces...

Believe me when I say that there are so many elements of that situation that anyone can actually control... it has a lot to do with over-population and extreme desparation... wayyy reeeeallll.....

JJ287 wrote