JOHNNY DEPP AWARDS & NOMINATIONS

Beatnik Beatnik

JOHNNY DEPP AWARDS & NOMINATIONS

This post was updated on .
So far he's been nominated 50 times including 3 Oscars, 2 Baftas, 2 SAG awards (1 win), 3 Critics Choice Awards & 8 Golden Globes (1 win).

Academy Awards:  Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

2008: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007).
2005: Finding Neverland (2004).
2004: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003).

BAFTA Film Award:  Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

2005:  Finding Neverland (2004).
2004:  Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003).

SAG Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role/Cast In A Motion Picture

2005: Finding Neverland (2004)
2004: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003).  (WON)
2002: Chocolat (2001)

Critics Choice Award: Best Actor
2008: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007).
2005: Finding Neverland (2004).
2004: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003).

Golden Globes: Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture

2008: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007).  (WON)
2007: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006).
2006: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005).
2005: Finding Neverland (2004).
2004: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003).
1995:  Ed Wood (1994).
1994:  Benny & Joon (1993).
1991:  Edward Scissorhands (1990).

You can see all of his wins and nominations here.

NOTE: I noticed there is an error in IMDB main page linked above which does not mention  Johnny Depp's win for  the London Critics Circle Film Awards in 1996 for Don Juan,  shown in Lala's post below.  This might mean there are other errors in his wins and nominations listed.

Moderator/Member - Contact Beatnik

"Got up and dressed up and went out & got laid. Then died and got buried in a coffin in the grave, Man" -- Johnny Depp

Johnny Depp Project News Forum is your one stop resource on Johnny Depp. Checkout our Project News section for the latest news on new projects and upcoming movies. If you are looking to get more In Depth about Johnny Depp and his work then you may like to join in the discussions on our In Depth with Depp Section.  If you are just looking to chill out with other fans then visit our Fan News Network  Want to buy some Johnny Depp Products then checkout our Amazon Store

Re: JOHNNY DEPP AWARDS & NOMINATIONS

I notice he was only nominated once for The Libertine.

Re: JOHNNY DEPP AWARDS & NOMINATIONS

I noticed that t0o about the Libertine it got a lot of mixed reviews. At least someone acknowledged his performance.

Ghostwriter wrote
I notice he was only nominated once for The Libertine.

Re: JOHNNY DEPP AWARDS & NOMINATIONS

I was surprised he was only nominated once for Don Juan Demarco.  but at least he won.

Beatnik Beatnik

Re: JOHNNY DEPP AWARDS & NOMINATIONS

There was a few films he didn't get a nomination for including Blow & Dead Man, which was very surprising.

Ghostwriter wrote
I notice he was only nominated once for The Libertine.
Moderator/Member - Contact Beatnik

"Got up and dressed up and went out & got laid. Then died and got buried in a coffin in the grave, Man" -- Johnny Depp

Johnny Depp Project News Forum is your one stop resource on Johnny Depp. Checkout our Project News section for the latest news on new projects and upcoming movies. If you are looking to get more In Depth about Johnny Depp and his work then you may like to join in the discussions on our In Depth with Depp Section.  If you are just looking to chill out with other fans then visit our Fan News Network  Want to buy some Johnny Depp Products then checkout our Amazon Store

Disney To Launch Big Awards Campaign For Alice In Wonderland

'Alice' In Oscarland: Disney To Launch Big Awards Campaign For Billion-Dollar Grosser

EXCLUSIVE: Disney released its billion dollar-grossing Alice In Wonderland  all the way back in March. Now, in a bid to bring Tim Burton's 3D blockbuster into the awards conversation, Disney is planning a full court press. This 6th biggest grosser of all time will start an unusual four-day theatrical engagement Sunday aimed squarely at attracting Academy members and Hollywood guilds. A full-page Sunday newspaper ad will launch the 3D run at the Arclight Hollywood and AMC Santa Monica from October 18th to 21st. The run will be accompanied by an exhibit of Colleen Atwood’s costumes in the Arclight lobby. A major advertising campaign in the Industry's awards-centric media also will be part of the equation to land Alice In Wonderland not just the expected technical nominations such as art direction, makeup, visual effects, and costumes but also Best Picture and Director recognition, a longer shot indeed according to current conventional wisdom of where the race is.

Both the pic's producers Joe Roth and Dick Zanuck are former studio heads who have shepherded many past nominees and winners, produced the Oscar show itself, and of course are longtime Academy voters. They explain to me this campaign launch isn’t about money: it’s about recognition. After all, there’s little financial upside at this point that would come from Oscar wins or nominations. “I think it would be terribly disappointing not to make the Top Ten," Zanuck tells me. "We’re not just mercenary about that. You can’t make a billion dollar gross unless millions of people are satisfied with a picture. The whole point of the new rule of 10 Best Picture nominees was not to exclude the most popular pictures of the year such as The Dark Knight. It was like pooh-poohing the audience. There should be recognition that you don’t get that business unless there were a lot of repeats and broad-based appeal and true creative accomplishment. That was the point of that discussion.”

And the one-time moguls are cognizant of the fact that Alice, billion dollars or not, is coming from behind in terms of perception of the players in this year’s Best Picture race. Critical response was somewhat down the middle; along with admiring notices from USA Today and The Wall Street Journal among others, the film stands at just 51% fresh overall at Rotten Tomatoes (but a higher 61% when only top critics are counted). And Alice has also fallen down the rabbit’s hole of potential Best Pic contenders, at least according to almost any pundits list so far. “That’s what got us started,” Zanuck, an Oscar winner himself (Driving Miss Daisy) and Irving Thalberg recipient, tells me. "It isn’t making those lists and that’s troubling. I don’t know how accurate they are. These lists that we’re seeing haven’t taken into consideration the campaign we’re about to launch. It should bring us back to the forefront. I think the biggest obstacle is really being yesterday’s news in terms of Academy. Some of them don’t even remember we came out this year.”

Co-producer Roth also feels the March release date is a detriment in trying to get voters' attention. “Disney has the challenge of reminding people. Things move so quickly now. In our world, 9 months feels like 9 years.” Best Picture nominations are rare for films that come out that early. In fact, Alice was released on March 5th, which was 2010's Oscar weekend, an initial concern for the producers until the movie raked in $116 million over the 3 days and assuaged their fears.

Disney finds itself in the unusual position of having a slate of contenders in several categories this year that includes Toy Story 3, their other billion dollar grosser and a movie that, unlike Alice, has landed on most pundits' lists of potential Best Picture nominees and maybe even winner. Roth says the studio is fully behind Alice even though this new regime didn’t initiate it. (It was a Dick Cook project.) “Disney seems to be passionate about it in meetings we’ve had that included Rich Ross. Look, they have two quality movies that grossed a billion each. They are both outsiders from a normal Academy standpoint but this [campaign] is certainly a way for Disney to remind people they are doing quality work.”

It goes unsaid that a big campaign obviously doesn’t hurt the ongoing relationship Disney has, and hopes to have, with Burton, including an upcoming animated feature film adaptation of his short, Frankenweenie, aiming for 2012. Burton has been nominated only once for an Oscar -- in his capacity as co-director of the 2005 animated feature nominee Corpse Bride. His films have never before been welcomed into the Best Picture or Director races, although Sweeney Todd (2007) did win a Best Picture Comedy/Musical Golden Globe the year those awards were forced off the air due to the WGA strike. Zanuck, who has produced five Burton films to date, admits about the slight, “I find it odd. Because he’s one of the only auteurs left, one of the few ever. He won’t admit it , and we don’t talk about it, but I would be surprised if in some way in the back recesses of is mind he wouldn’t feel a little hurt and neglected.”

Analyzes Roth: “The Academy hasn’t been that open to Tim’s work which they probably find too idiosyncratic I’m guessing from the past. It’s good to remind people of the picture if what ultimately happens is that some individuals are lauded for the film.

Naturally, Zanuck believes Alice is the finest film of Burton’s career both technically and artistically, with praise also for the multi-Oscar winning technical team that include Atwood and legendary effects wizard Ken Ralston (Star Wars). “You could practically run it silent and people would understand it just as well. It’s just a visually stunning film,” he says.

Ask Zanuck and Roth who they think will win Best Picture for this most wide open awards season in years, and they don't know either. “I haven’t seen all the movies that are coming yet," Roth says, "but sitting here in mid-October we’re looking for a contender, right?”

Re: Disney To Launch Big Awards Campaign For Alice In Wonderland

Alice was awesome in many ways but I disagree that it is Burton's best film. Sweeney Todd was Burton's finest piece of work with credit to the cast, music and costumes.

JJ287 wrote
Naturally, Zanuck believes Alice is the finest film of Burton’s career both technically and artistically, with praise also for the multi-Oscar winning technical team that include Atwood and legendary effects wizard Ken Ralston (Star Wars). “You could practically run it silent and people would understand it just as well. It’s just a visually stunning film,” he says.

Re: Disney To Launch Big Awards Campaign For Alice In Wonderland

I love Alice In Wonderland but and would love to see it nominated but somehow I get the feeling it is not acadamy material. Nothing of Johnny's gets recognized as it should. Look at Sweeney Todd that had everything from cast to direction and it got blindsided.
deppaddicted deppaddicted

Re: Disney To Launch Big Awards Campaign For Alice In Wonderland

I feel bad for Dick Cook he is the one who worked on these big projects with Burton and Johnny and what recognition does he get..sweet fa
Shadow Shadow

Re: Disney To Launch Big Awards Campaign For Alice In Wonderland

Nope, not gonna happen people too many other movies out there and the academy usually goes for small or Independent movies. Unless of course you dead then everyone in that movie will get some kind of nomination.
"You must acquire the trick of ignoring those who do not like you. In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: The stupid and the envious. The stupid will like you in five years time. The envious, never". Earl of Rochester.

PirateAngeline PirateAngeline

Re: Disney To Launch Big Awards Campaign For Alice In Wonderland

Glad to see they are at least making the effort, but not sure if the acadamy will recognise this one. Goodl luck to everyone all the same.

Re: Disney To Launch Big Awards Campaign For Alice In Wonderland

Maybe no or maybe yes but only time will tell.  but when you look at Johnny's Performance how can it not be nominated.

Re: Disney To Launch Big Awards Campaign For Alice In Wonderland

Thanks for showing the clip is always good to be reminded of true talent even although we love him dearly.
trishadepp trishadepp

Re: Disney To Launch Big Awards Campaign For Alice In Wonderland

My only real wish in life is to see Johnny win an Academy Award or Bafta for his work. The only one that seem to recognized him so far is the SAGS or Golden Globes.

Re: Disney To Launch Big Awards Campaign For Alice In Wonderland

I would do anything to see Johnny pick up an Oscar.

Re: Disney To Launch Big Awards Campaign For Alice In Wonderland

Why do poeple take notice of Rotten Tomatoes and what qualifies some of the critics to be critics. I don't use Rotten Tomatoes because of the bias involved.

As for the Oscars I agree with shadow....why was TDK nominated and yet no nomination for Public Enemies which was far superior. Then look at Jeff Bridges I love him but common Crazy Heart!!!!  what makes that Oscar worthy? The Hurt Locker another Oscar winner good movie but not that good. Johnny will never win either Bafta or Oscar because he doesn't mix with them. I am not even going to bet on this because I know what the outcome will be. Johnny is a far better actor than Sean Penn and yet who gets recognized? Sean Penn.  I could go on but wont, it's nice that Disney is making an effort but this is just not going to happen.

JJ287 wrote
[...]

Pffh.... Ghostie seems to be on the money here... mostly its my belief that Disney is allowing their product to get lofted to a wider domain so that they can wrangle in 'credibility' for a while which they will not be sustaining willingly... they are going to lock down and translate this to their commodity market as we saw with these horrid demi-toys which really are marketing a larger line of items within their copy rights division... Madame Alexander

So anyhow ... with Ghostie's idea that Depp and Burton... no they do not mingle and yes they are afforded the luxury of multiple plafforms of domain with some leverage... even with these recognitions they struggle to keep their dance card and place in line to the powder room... finally we get the security of Dark Shadows filming in the Spring... Hopefully the Ranger can wait long enough to hit the editing machines by winter of 2011 as Burton masters his reels by 2012 with a proper premier and release by 2013.... There is no such thing as resenting it but there is the mind of preventing fault...

I really think that the academy needs something to digest and long swallow and it would be best suited to a role that cannot be refuted for any 'over acting' or 'typecasting' or easily discernable measures of pure madness in application

they want salt and they want sedition and they want salient delivery of sensationalistic drama to justify the mundane

give 'em what they want Johnny... they will be drunk in a couple of hours anyway... let them find something simple
Vajoliroja Vajoliroja

Re: Disney To Launch Big Awards Campaign For Alice In Wonderland

I loved this scen got Alice on Bluray it's awesome.

JJ287 wrote
Maybe no or maybe yes but only time will tell.  but when you look at Johnny's Performance how can it not be nominated.

“I pretty much try to stay in a constant state of confusion just because of the expression it leaves on my face.” Johnny Depp

Re: Disney To Launch Big Awards Campaign For Alice In Wonderland

Yes its one of the most wonderful scenes and yet these two scenes combined make it all it needs to be really....

It really is most characteristic of the pleasant side of Hatter to be sure... the twists in character built into Hatter's dialogue are also key to seeing him from the inside out as well.  Hatter is forced to be passive according to his station and life as a part of clearly identifying feminine to Alice's Masculine... love it... He dwells safely indeed until his true heart and courage is allowed to emerge in this scene...

I love this warrior in Hatter and know that this sort of characterization is truly the Deppth that indicates great acting... as study, preparation and range of emotion delivered as needed to forward the plot and speed our trust of his truth