Ballybrando - (Devine Rapture) The Film That Never Was

Ballybrando - (Devine Rapture) The Film That Never Was

This post was updated on .
Last year JDN posted an article about Ballybrando posted here & here

Anyway if anyone is Interested they are going to show it at the LA Irish Film Festival:

Special Screenings

The festival will also present a special screening of “Ballybrando,” directed by Brendan Byrne, a documentary charting the ill-fated 1995 Irish film “Divine Rapture,” which had Marlon Brando and Johnny Depp among its stars. The documentary tells the story of the ‘greatest film never made in Ireland’, as the project was brought to a halt as a result of financial difficulties. Just over 20 minutes of footage had been shot of the film, which focused on an elderly priest (Brando) who believes in the power of miracles. “Divine Rapture” was being filmed in the Cork village of Ballycotton in 1995.

As the “Cinemagic Spotlight,” LAIFF will screen a special family matinee of “A Shine of Rainbows” on Saturday, October 2 at 4pm.  A poignant tale of a loving mother, a reluctant father, and the extraordinary journey that brings a young orphan home to an island off the coast of Ireland where discovers the hidden magical life of the island. An official Irish/Canadian co-production directed by Vic Sarin and starring Aidan Quinn and Connie Nielsen, the film was shot in Donegal and was produced by James Flynn for Octagon Films in Ireland and Tina Pehme and Kim Roberts for Sepia Films in Canada.  Link

Re: Ballybrando The Film That Never Was

Clip from Ballybrando:

lydia lydia

Re: Ballybrando - (Devine Rapture) The Film That Never Was

I feel bad for Marlon Brando and it's sad to see him that way in the clip. :(

Ballybrando - (Divine Rapture) The Film That Never Was

That's a pretty teasing and I am glad to look into it more just to understand the project.  Not sure I really wanted to see Brando nekked in the window though... anyway.... that might be a cool mini-vacation for someone or at least an interesting research project.  Brando with red hair was kinda different.

Re: Ballybrando - (Devine Rapture) The Film That Never Was

I didn't realize Brando was so unhappy or could it just be the way the documentary has portrayed Brando!

Re: Ballybrando - (Devine Rapture) The Film That Never Was

Brando was really actually terribly unhappy and some of it was his kids but also there were a few deep felt personal remorses in his past which sent him down roads that kind of isolated him.  His son committed suicide and his daughter had as many problems as either of them.  He likely let something go in his life at a crucial moment and was lost in trying to figure out where to start again... The Divine Rapture was a way to return to the sincerity with which he once acted in my opinion.

I really always felt that Brando surrendered himself to the industry at a crucial moment in their dark history when they relied upon vapid stereotypes on and off screen.  He likely had lots to say about Montgomery Cliff and his wasted greatness if a person could actually have gotten past his reclusive mindset to talk with him.
Liz Liz

Re: Ballybrando - (Devine Rapture) The Film That Never Was

Is Johnny Depp in the documentary?

Re: Ballybrando - (Divine Rapture) The Film That Never Was

I believe they said 'featuring Johnny Depp' and also made a reference to how he 'talks about' some aspect of the film or his relations with Brando so I am guessing yes.
mary mary

Re: Ballybrando - (Devine Rapture) The Film That Never Was

Depp was to star in the movie but does not actually feature in the documentary.

Re: Ballybrando - (Devine Rapture) The Film That Never Was

I don't feel sad for him at all, he had money so he could have gotten help instead he marries young woman half his age to satisfy his ego and spent most of his retirment years wallowing in self-pity because of he was no longer getting the attention he wanted.

Re: Ballybrando - (Devine Rapture) The Film That Never Was

Ouch Lala never knew you had it in you...lol