All Things Tim Burton

This post was updated on .

please post all Tim Burton posts here...

Elfman announces music box to commemorate 25-year collaboration with Burton

Thought some of you maybe interested in this article.

Comic-Con 2010: Film composer Danny Elfman talks about his long career with director Tim Burton in his first-ever appearance at the San Diego Comic-Con.

Who Was There: Danny Elfman, former member of the classic '80s new wave band Oingo Boingo and film composer for movies such as The Nightmare Before Christmas, Alice in Wonderland, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

The Elfman Cometh.

What They Talked About: The panel began with a short trailer that had images of Burton’s various works. This was to introduce a collectible box set that would include 14 CDs, a DVD, a book with interviews of both Elfman and Burton, and artwork from the director. In the course of 25 years, they’ve completed 13 films together.

One of the first questions posed by the moderator was how this partnership began. Elfman joked that he was likely the only composer that Burton had a cell phone number for, and that he kept losing the numbers to other potential candidates.

“I’m not sure why he kept calling back,” said Elfman, who mentioned earlier that he was embarrassed and had a fear of public speaking.

The composer went on to discuss his early years when he first met the director. At the time, he was part of the band Oingo Boingo and hadn’t considered scoring films at all. The two hit it off right away, as they both had a similar upbringing in Los Angeles and were partial to horror films. Elfman’s admiration for composer and famed Alfred Hitchcock collaborator Bernard Herrmann played a large role in helping shape his career.

One of the hardest projects he had to tackle was scoring the original Batman. The studio, producer, and essentially anyone but the director didn’t want Elfman working on the project. In contrast, the most rewarding films he ever worked on was Edward Scissorhands and The Nightmare Before Christmas because there was no one looking over his shoulder.

He said he had the most fun with The Nightmare Before Christmas because there was no script, so Burton would come by every three days and tell him a little bit of the story. When he was done, Elfman would compose a piece for that scene, and Burton would return in three days time and they would repeat the process for a month. Elfman said that since then, nothing was ever that easy and organic, especially not Alice.

For their most recent project, Alice in Wonderland, Elfman said that Burton was incredibly stressed out because it was the first time he had to work with a greenscreen and would be at a loss to what the final product would look like. Elfman’s music had to keep the film grounded because the crazier the movie got, the more Burton wanted the score to keep everything anchored.

At the end of the day, Elfman aspires to do a bit of everything.

"I had many opportunities to express myself with Tim," he said. "Everything in my career was defined by him. Every one of his films allowed me access to everything…do what I needed to do, which is hopefully get to the point to where I can write any kind of score."

Most of the hour was dedicated to fan questions, and he generally had amusing answers for them. He talked about how he was relieved he has never won an Oscar and that the thought of winning would make him sweat. He wasn’t interested in doing the Simpsons movie because as much fun as it is to listen to that type of music, he said the process of composing it wasn’t as fun.

When asked what his favorite song that he had composed was he replied with, "I hate every song I've written and I never want to hear them again.” But if he did have to pick one, it would be "Jack’s Lament."

One of the questions was about whether or not there would ever be a reunion for Oingo Boingo to which Elfman replied, "I hate rock-and-roll band reunions. To me, unlike the role of zombies...when you're dead, you should stay dead." His other reason was that he had sustained hearing damage and would never want to sacrifice his hearing for anything.

Quote: "If there was a taste with notes, they'd all be bitter." –Elfman, when asked if he associated any taste or colors with music.

The Takeaway: Elfman is a humble and incredibly funny individual who originally wanted to be a radiation biologist. He spent his early teens injecting flies with radioactive isotopes and irradiating plants.

Another question was about whether he would compose for computer games. After pausing for a moment to try to remember the name of the game, he did say that he worked on Fable and that even though he isn’t asked too often, he wouldn’t be opposed to doing something different and unique.

Random Fact/Who Knew?: Along with his fear of public speaking, tidal waves is one of Elfman's greatest fears.

Comic Con 2010

Re: Elfman announces music box to commemorate 25-year collaboration with Burton

This post was updated on .
Loved Elfman especially the soundtrack to Edward Scissorhands absolutely beautiful. Found this fan made video of clips on Youtube with the Icedance Sountrack. A reminder of one of the greatest collaborations Burton/Depp/Elfman.

Re: Elfman announces music box to commemorate 25-year collaboration with Burton

Thanks noodle and thank you JJ for posting that video, whoever put this video together did an outstanding Job.   Tears of Joy!

Re: Elfman announces music box to commemorate 25-year collaboration with Burton

I know it is amazing made me cry actually. I just do not understand why Johnny was never nominated for an Oscar for that movie, the way he acted with those eyes moved me so much. He was nominated for a golden globe but lost out to Gérard Depardieu for Green Card.

Kimmi wrote
Thanks noodle and thank you JJ for posting that video, whoever put this video together did an outstanding Job.   Tears of Joy!

Re: Elfman announces music box to commemorate 25-year collaboration with Burton

Thanks for the news Noodle something to look forward too and the vid was wonderful JJ

Re: Elfman announces music box to commemorate 25-year collaboration with Burton

I loved that movie sooooo much and the music was wonderful. not the best video I have seen but still good.
FamilyMatters FamilyMatters

Re: Elfman announces music box to commemorate 25-year collaboration with Burton

The music is wonderful and Johnny would have been perfect for the silent era.
“There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love."
DeppandDance DeppandDance

Re: Elfman announces music box to commemorate 25-year collaboration with Burton

Who could not fall in love with Edward in this movie his emotions are his personality....simply wonderful performance.
"Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid".

Re: Elfman announces music box to commemorate 25-year collaboration with Burton

That really is a nice video,  thanks JJ.

JJ287 wrote
Loved Elfman especially the soundtrack to Edward Scissorhands absolutely beautiful. Found this fan made video of clips on Youtube with the Icedance Sountrack. A reminder of one of the greatest collaborations Burton/Depp/Elfman.

Re: Elfman announces music box to commemorate 25-year collaboration with Burton

Thanks for the update and for posting the video.  Not sure if I would actually buy the music box though as the Icedance is the only piece of music I liked.

Burton Developing 'Monsterpocalypse'

Not sure if anyone has seen this article posted in /film:

Exclusive: Tim Burton Developing Monsterpocalypse, Full Details Revealed
Posted on Monday, July 19th, 2010 by Peter Sciretta

Last month, it was reported that John August was in talks with Dreamworks to pen a big screen adaptation of the Monsterpocalypse board game which has been described as “part strategy, part Kaiju Big Battel, and part Rampage!, all played out with miniatures on a tabletop.” At the time, it was speculated that the involvement of Burton’s regular collaborator might mean that Tim Burton was developing the project to direct. We now have a confirmation and more information on the project.

Over the weekend, I was able to get producer Roy Lee (The Departed, The Ring, How to Train Your Dragon) on the phone and was able to confirm the speculation and get a bunch of information on the developing project. You can read the cliffnotes below or skip to the full transcript which contains a lot more information on the project.

Cliff Notes:

    * John August is writing the screenplay right now, consulting with the game’s creator Matt Wilson (who is also a co-producer)
    * Tim Burton is developing the project to direct
    * Being developed as a 3D movie
    * It could hit theaters by the end of 2012
    * Will not feature other properties like Voltron
    * The plot involves giant monsters who attack earth. After the humans fight back, the monsters
       retreat, but it is quickly discovered that they didn’t leave, but instead burrowed underground and are
       sending some sort of signal into space. The humans prepare for a possible future attach and
       developed giant robots that will fight the monsters if and when they return.
    * Most of the movie is going to be during that battle between the giant robots and the giant monsters.
    * Tim Burton is developing the look for the monsters with Ken Ralston, four time Academy Award winner
       who has been involved with the visual effects on films such as Forrest Gump, Death Becomes Her,
       Back to the Future series, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Cocoon, Dragonslayer, Star Wars trilogy
    * The monsters and robots are each the size of a very tall building.
    * The robots are controlled by a crew inside of each one of these robots, and we’ll be seeing the
       battles from the inside of the bridge and the outside Human-controlled robots the size of tall
       buildings fighting giant alien monsters who are destroying cities on Earth… and in 3D? How cool is that
       for a popcorn tentpole movie? Really?

Full Transcript:

Peter: Hey Roy.

Roy: Hey Peter. How are you?

Peter: Good. So we’ve been hearing rumors that there is a film version of MONSTERPOCALYPSE with John August writing it and many have speculated that Tim Burton might direct? I wanted to see if you could confirm those rumors.

Roy: I can confirm that Tim Burton is developing it to direct. He’s working closely with John August on story. And this is the first time that Ken Ralston was brought in this early to do conceptual drawings and the visuals for the movie itself. I don’t know if you know Ken, but he’s won several Oscars for, I guess, maybe “Cocoon”, “Roger Rabbit”, “Back to the Future”, “Forest Gump”, all those, as well as working with Tim on “Alice in Wonderland”.

Peter: This is a board game, so what is the take on the film adaptation?

Roy: The general take on the film that I can give you is that the giant monsters come to earth and start wreaking havoc. The humans, at this point, fight back. And they feel like they’ve destroyed them, but they quickly learn that the monsters that come had actually not died and just sort of burrowed underground and are sending some sort of signal into space. Apparently, it is probably going to be a distress signal. So the humans know that something is going to be coming, they just don’t know what yet. And they know how big these monsters can be. Then it cuts to many years later when nothing has come back, but the humans have prepared for possible monsters coming back. And by this time, they have developed these giant robots that will fight the monsters when they come. That is what is going to take place. But most of the movie is going to be during that battle between the giant robots and the giant monsters.

Peter: So that part where the monsters return, is that just like the first 30 minutes of the movie?

Roy: Yes. The opening is just the basic present day, and then we go years into the future.

Peter: Wow. The MONSTERPOCALYPSE universe also encompasses other properties, like Voltron. Will those properties also be a part of the movie?

Roy: Not Voltron… The company that owns Voltron approached us, Matt Wilson, to be able to utilize the robots for the world of MONSTERPOCALYPSE. But we are not using anything from there to the movie, because a lot of the robots and monsters will be created by Tim himself and the cast.

Peter: OK, cool. So John August is…it sounds like you have a script, or you have a treatment right now?

Roy: He’s writing the script right now.

Peter: He’s writing the script right now. If this happens, when does this look like this happens in the schedule? This would definitely be after Dark Shadows, I assume?

Roy: That is something that we are not clear on, just because Tim has several opportunities that will be placed in front of him whenever these scripts are done, because both scripts of Dark Shadows and MONSTERPOCALYPSE are being written as we speak. So I can’t say what would happen if “Dark Shadows” comes in great and ours doesn’t, or the opposite. So it’s really just up in the air.

Peter: how big are these robots?

Roy: These robots would be the size of a very tall building, where the crew that is inside of each one of these robots…we’re not sure how many people are manning it. It’s almost as if, like, the robots are spaceships, but they are actually shaped like robots and walk around the Earth, where you have a crew inside them, like, with a captain, controlling different parts of the robot to fight these monsters.

Peter: Do we see that? Are we inside the bridge like Star Trek, or is it mostly outside seeing them fight the monsters?

Roy: Nope. You’ll be inside the robots and watching from outside.

Peter: Oh, really cool. And how big are the monsters, may I ask?

Roy: They will be just as big. Have you seen anything about the board game?

Peter: Yes, I’ve seen many photos of the board game, but I’ve never actually played it myself.

Roy: Well, yeah. Conceptually, the pieces are…you have like these buildings, and then the players are fighting against each other playing either the monsters or the robots. And those monsters and robots are the same size as the buildings.

Peter: Well, very cool. And is Tim doing any of the designs himself?

Roy: Oh, yes. Ken Ralston and Tim are working on the design. Tim has a very distinct style in the way he handles a lot of his creatures and the images that he uses in his movies that will be, I’m sure, reflected in our movie as well.

Peter: Well, very cool. Thank you for your time Roy. I know you are probably a very busy guy. I really appreciate it.

Roy: Sure. And a couple things. Tarik Heitmann, Gerald Moon, and Doug Davison are the exec producers.

Peter: And Matt Wilson, the creator of the game is…

Roy: Co-producer.

Peter: How involved is he?

Roy: He is very involved in the sense that the writer, John August, is consulting him and talking to him about just what choice he made in the game. He’s been very helpful in just explaining some of the mythology behind some of the creatures. Because we are using some of his creatures, as well as his robots. I mean it’s going to be sort of sub-everything.

Peter: And I assume that this is probably being developed as a 3D film?

Roy: That would be correct. I mean that’s where Ken is saying there is no reason why we shouldn’t, because seeing major cities destroyed and monsters fighting with robots would naturally lend itself to a 3D movie.

Peter: It sounds like it’s going to be lots of fun, so hopefully it gets made sooner rather than later.

Roy: I’d say there is a good chance that we would be in theaters by the end of 2012.

Peter: OK. Well, very cool Roy. Thank you very much. And again, I appreciate your time.

Roy: You are welcome. Sure thing.

Re: Burton Developing 'Monsterpocalypse'

im with JJ on this one... ... back to the real plot lines and subtle characterizations for me

Re: Burton Developing 'Monsterpocalypse'

Never even heard of such a game    Here is a link to the website but it looks like a load of horse shit to me. monsterpocalypse Thank god he is doing Dark Shadows first
Lala61 wrote
Last month, it was reported that John August was in talks with Dreamworks to pen a big screen adaptation of the Monsterpocalypse board game which has been described as “part strategy, part Kaiju Big Battel, and part Rampage!, all played out with miniatures on a tabletop.” At the time, it was speculated that the involvement of Burton’s regular collaborator might mean that Tim Burton was developing the project to direct. We now have a confirmation and more information on the project.
blondhaired lover blondhaired lover

Re: Burton Developing 'Monsterpocalypse'

Not got a bloody clue what this is but love Burton so it's got to be great. Do you think depp will be in this one too?

Re: Burton Developing 'Monsterpocalypse'

Hope it's not gonna be another mars attack I hated that movie

Re: Burton Developing 'Monsterpocalypse'

Nooooooooooooooo this sounds awful  please Johnny don't go near this one.

A board game?  first books then video games and now board games. I hope Johnny is not going to be in this one sounds terrible.
Bandiecam Bandiecam

Re: Elfman announces music box to commemorate 25-year collaboration with Burton

Like Burton and Elfman but don't think I would go buy it when I have most of Burton's Movies anyway