A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

trishadepp trishadepp

A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

With all the negative media attention people forget about the great work done by Mel Gibson and his humanitarian efforts.  I would like to talk about the good in him and the wonderful movies he has made.

Mini Biography

Mel Columcille Gerard Gibson was born on January 3, 1956, in Peekskill, New York, USA as the sixth of eleven children to parents Hutton Gibson, a railroad brakeman, and Ann Gibson, who was born in Australia and died in December of 1990. Though born in the US, Mel and his family moved to New South Wales, Australia. After high school, Mel studied at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, performing at the National Institute of Dramatic Arts alongside future film thespians Judy Davis and Geoffrey Rush.
trishadepp trishadepp

Re: A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

 Mels film debut was Summer City 1977 an Australian film, directed by Christopher Fraser .

In the early 1960s, Sandy (John Jarratt), Boo (Steve Bisley), Scollop (Mel Gibson) and Robbie (Phil Avalon) drive to the beaches north of Sydney for a surfing weekend. The boys are planning to give Sandy a memorable ‘one last fling’ before his impending marriage. Tension flares between university-educated Sandy and ocker Boo when Sandy decides not to join in the fun. At a local dance, Boo seduces Caroline (Debbie Forman), the teenage daughter of a caravan park owner (James Elliott) who discovers what has happened and comes looking for Boo with a gun.

Re: A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

Wow that was a quick start , wonder if you can rent this on netflix. It would be interesting to see him as a young actor.

trishadepp trishadepp

Re: A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

I know I was thinking that myself . There are more clips on the website for Summer City here and I checked Netflix and it is available to rent,  but not on Instant.

JJ287 wrote
Wow that was a quick start , wonder if you can rent this on netflix. It would be interesting to see him as a young actor.

Re: A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

Mad Max was the first film I ever saw Mel Gibson in and loved it. I also noticed it is on that website link and I checked Netflix it's on Instant play, so I think I will go watch it tonight. .

Netflix Synopsis: In a postapocalyptic future, jaded motorcycle cop Max Rockatansky (Mel Gibson) is ready to retire. But his world is shattered when a malicious gang murders his family as an act of retaliation, forcing a devastated Max to hit the open road seeking vengeance. As he travels the Australian outback's empty stretches of highway, he tours the bloodstained battlegrounds ruled by marauding bikers who feed on violence.

I wonder what he thought when it became such a big hit.

trishadepp trishadepp

Re: A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

I hated it when they went after his wife and baby but I suppose that was the point of the movie. Anyway I am off to bed now and will watch it again so we can discuss it more in detail.

Re: A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

I never even heard of this movie but I am a huge fan of Mad Max. I actually saw the second one first and liked it so much I then watched the first one.

Looking forward to discussing his movies with you ladies.

trishadepp wrote
 Mels film debut was Summer City 1977 an Australian film, directed by Christopher Fraser .

Re: A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

I loved Mad Max and the criminals they created where awesome.  I liked the scene in the first one when he got the toecutter then at the end of the movie when he told the guy you can saw through your ankle or burn to death.

Re: A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

I wonder if this is how they got the idea for Saw?  anyway it's an old movie and I think more people saw the second and third and not the first. I remember seeing Mad Max 2 and thinking this guy is going to be huge in a few years.

Kimmi wrote
I loved Mad Max and the criminals they created where awesome.  I liked the scene in the first one when he got the toecutter then at the end of the movie when he told the guy you can saw through your ankle or burn to death.

trishadepp trishadepp

Re: A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

I was looking at the box office for Mad Max which took in $99, 750.00 worldwide with a budget of $200.000 but I can't seem to find the worldwide figures for Mad Max The Road Warrior or Beyond Thunderdome as it only gives Domestic for US.  Anyway here are the trailers for 2 & 3.

Re: A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

That is strange there are no worldwide box office figures.  I was browsing youtube and I found the scene with the boomerang kid.

Interesting Fact: Emil Minty who played the kid never really done much acting  after that movie. Apparently he runs a jewelry store in Sydney now.

If anyone wants to see Mad Max 2 it's currently on Youtube.

Re: A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

OMG... I loved Mad Max movies, 2nd one was my favorite but Tina Turner was awesome in the 3rd one.  Mel was or is a talented man and wish he could sort himself out. Thought is was cruel that the guy in the Hangover made such a big deal of him appearing in a cameo.

Re: A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

It was Zach Galifianakis who started the protest against Mel Gibson. People do forget the good Mel Gibson did and the wonderful movies he made.  You are right though he does need to get some help but this issue over the Hangover is going to make him worse.

During a two-part episode of the Comedy Death Ray podcast (posted Oct. 15 and 22), the comedian mentioned a conflict on his current movie gig. "A movie you're acting in, you don't have a lot of control; you just show up and vomit your lines out. I'm not the boss. I'm in deep protest right now about a movie I'm working on, up in arms about something," Galifianakis said.  "But I can't get the guys to (listen). . . . I'm not making any leeway." Apparently, Galifianakis finally made himself heard. Ass hole I hope his career goes right down the toilet.

On another note did anyone see the movie Timmy with Mel Gibson?

MrsSparrow wrote
OMG... I loved Mad Max movies, 2nd one was my favorite but Tina Turner was awesome in the 3rd one.  Mel was or is a talented man and wish he could sort himself out. Thought is was cruel that the guy in the Hangover made such a big deal of him appearing in a cameo.

Re: A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

I am not going to get into the discussion about what he is doing now and I don't want to hear it either.

But, I will say that he has made some fantastic movies and "Tim"was one of my favorites movies. You can actually watch the full movie on Youtube or below.

Ghostwriter wrote
On another note did anyone see the movie Timmy with Mel Gibson?

trishadepp trishadepp

Re: A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

I kind of remember seeing this one but would probably need to re-watch it.  He is mentally challenged and wants to marry an older woman or something.
Kate Kate

Re: A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

What is he doing on here..lol not that it matters I love Mel.. but heard he has been a naughty boy of late.

Re: A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

I do not dig Mel being here.... I respect his work and I think he had the opportunity to be a very special leader in our culture but instead he just shut it all down and drank his *^blinkin^%  life away to some foolish set of choices... clean up your act and apologize Mel... thats what we say to people that we love who mess up in our families and community

Leaving your wife due to irreconcilable differences... it happens with that kind of career.... Getting caught with your hand in the cookie jar... its part of understanding addiction....Naughty is a little bender of sorts.... Getting Ugly and Nasty is just being downright hateful...
Plimsoul Deppfan Plimsoul Deppfan

Re: A Tribute To The Talent & Work of Mel Gibson

This bugger never should have left the action industry if you ask me!  He would never have had to explain himself if he were still a proper bruiser.  He must have fell off the wagon in that film with Goldie Hawn or something.